Each year more than £16bn worth of welfare benefits goes unclaimed in the UK. The figure alone is startling but it’s the lives behind those unclaimed benefits that give the Frenkel Topping Welfare Benefits team their purpose.
For more than 30 years we have worked with people who’ve suffered life-changing injury or illness and are trying to rebuild their lives in the most challenging of circumstances. Often after an injury, a person is unable to work and it can be some time until a case is settled, leaving them financially vulnerable for potentially long periods of time.
Working through the challenges that a life-changing injury creates is incredibly hard. Add to that the worry of how to pay for the bare essentials when you’re unable to work and the stress can be immense.
We have a dedicated team to help identify unclaimed benefits and make sure our clients aren’t missing out on benefits that they are rightfully entitled to. Due to an increase in referrals coming into the service, we are now looking to expand our caring and compassionate team.
Over the last year, the Welfare Benefits team helped to secure an additional £1.4m in additional benefits for Claimants – a figure we plan to grow year-on-year because we know how important those benefits are.
As a group, it’s our mission to support our clients to live the happiest and most fulfilling lives after injury or illness. Our Welfare Benefits service is integral to that mission and we need to grow our team to reflect that.
We are seeking to recruit a Welfare Benefit Caseworker to join our caring and compassionate team. If you previously applied for this position, but were unsuccessful, we encourage you to apply again as we will be considering all applications afresh.
The main purpose of this role is to provide comprehensive and specialist welfare benefits advice, casework, advocacy and tribunal representation to Frenkel Topping clients.
- Provide a specialist welfare benefits advice service to claimants, carers and their representatives, in particular those claimants who may have received a personal injury payment.
- Proactively create, develop external and internal partnerships establishing productive relationships including legal representatives
- To complete detailed written benefit assessments for Court of Protection clients to assist Deputies in meeting their legal requirements
- Preparation of appeal cases, including written submissions and tribunal representation at First tier and Upper tribunal.
- Delivery of casework and advocacy on behalf of claimants including complex casework
- To explain complex information to clients and ensure their understanding in both written and oral communication
- Assessment of case prospects and advice on merits and risks.
- Negotiating and liaising with local authority, statutory and voluntary agencies
- Undertake training in areas of welfare benefits to keep abreast of new legislative changes, policies and practices
- Provide internal and external updates to staff across the whole range of welfare benefit issues
- Maintain case records for the purpose of the continuity of casework, information retrieval and providing reports where required
- To deal sensitively and professionally with customers in a manner that recognises their needs
- To identify in conjunction with the Operations Manager opportunities for professional development
- Contribute to set performance targets
- A high standard and extensive knowledge of the benefits system, welfare rights and entitlements, application processes and eligibility criteria
- At least two years’ recent experience of working in a welfare benefits advocacy context
- Experience of providing advice to clients and professionals via telephone, in writing, and face to face, presenting complex issues in a clear manner that’s appropriate for internal and external clients
- Having undergone and have a willingness to undertake appropriate training with regards to legislative changes and development
- Experience of challenging and appealing negative benefit decisions together with being able to confidently represent and advocate for claimants at Tribunal hearings.
- Experience of delivering training/briefings/workshops (Desirable)
Skills & abilities:
- Ability to work sensitively with and relate to vulnerable clients in particular clients who have sustained brain injuries, have cognitive difficulties, or have complex needs
- Ability to independently manage and prioritise a varied and complex caseload, ensuring deadlines are adhered to in accordance with service standards
- Ability to prepare written reports to a high standard
- Have an in-depth working knowledge of social security legislation
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team
- Display self-motivation, drive and enthusiasm
- Possess a flexible approach to work
- Keen interest in the social welfare system
- A desire to support vulnerable clients
- Diplomatic and sensitive to client’s circumstances
Education & Training:
- Good written and verbal communications and numeracy skills
- Substantial welfare rights experience
And last but not least, what’s in it for you?!
We are passionate about growth and aim to provide every employee with a clear development plan, with regular reviews that enable them to reach their career goals
Working within an expanding business with an ambitious growth strategy
Fantastic benefits including private health care, flexible working opportunities, cycle to work scheme, employee recognition and more!
Frenkel Topping Group is an equal opportunities employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Frenkel Topping Group is proud to be Disability Confident Committed. If you are invited to an interview, please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process that will allow you to perform to the best of your ability.